To provide scheduled transportation for SAA from the metro New Orleans area to rescue partners around the country, to support animal rescue and relocation operations.
Under the supervision of the Transport Coordinator, and in partnership with other key team members, provide safe, reliable, and efﬁcient transportation of SAA animals to partner rescues and shelters outside the Metro New Orleans area.
Must be familiar with and strictly adhere to all SAA policies and procedures regarding animal transport, including state & federal regulations, transportation best practices, and veterinary standards for transporting animals.
Duties including but not limited to the following:
- Ensuring a clean and safe transportation vehicle is available to complete the transport.
- Provide daily care for the animals undergoing transport, including feeding, watering, handling of elimination needs (providing walks, cleaning kennels), and ensuring climate controlled and safe environment for the duration of the transport.
- Make stops according to SAA policies and procedures to ensure the safety and comfort of animals during transport.
- Immediately report any concerns regarding the health of animals to the Transport Coordinator, and ensure transportation to local veterinary ofﬁces in the event emergency care is requires.
- Meet directly with rescue partners at the destination shelter to ensure a smooth and professional transfer of animals into their custody. Ensure that all required paperwork is completed, that transfer records are provided to destination shelter.
- Maintain regular communication with the Transport Coordinator throughout the transport process.
- Once the transfer of animals is complete, return to New Orleans, turn in all applicable paperwork and return the vehicle(s).
Varies, depending on the location of the destination shelter. Most transports will take 2-4 days round trip. SAA will endeavor to work with drivers to schedule transportation needs in advance, but may also ask for drivers to be on-call for emergencies if possible.
Must be able to pass a background check and have a clean driving record. Must have a valid Louisiana state issued Drivers License.
Experience handling animals preferred.